Sunday 14 June 2009

TV

Well, as you know our TV broke again, and this time Gallant (the only guy in PEI who can fix TV's said that he couldn't fix it :(
We've been toying with buying a house, a car, holiday, getting back tot he UK next year, permanent residency - everything! And now we need a new TV.
Well, today we decided that we would not buy a house until next year, we'd sort out permanent residency next year, and the UK is next year - so we'll buy a new decent TV and a car.

I went for (what could be considered mid0entry), however to me it's the mama-jama of TVs.
120hz of Pure West!
Future Shop had a display of a 240hz brand new 40" TV side by side with a 60hz one, and the difference was unbelievable!
Now when HDTV first came out we bought one, a 720p one, and although I could recognise that the picture was indeed better (clearer), it was only of any real use for the Xbox 360 - movies weren't that much better unless you had Blu-Ray/HD-DVD (which nobody could decide upon until last year) and the whole HD thing kind of disappointed me, with just BBC HD being available and the occasional On Demand movie from Virgin.

However, NOW I understand, 1080p is definitely a huge improvement over normal TV and is a massive leap compared to normal vs 720p - but running at 120hz this thing is awesome.
It completely ruined Star Wars Episode 2 (my test movie), making the entire opening sequence look as bad as a really cheap TV series. It was comparable to Red Dwarf. You could really see the green screen issues, the terrible props and the actors jjust looked stuck on and the smoothness was too uncanny - like the cheap daytime soap opera 'Days Of Our Lives'.
Once again HD had disappointed me... but then I found the 'cinema' mode button. This softened everything (not make it blurry), just soft, a warmer feel to it and blending and the whole thing just looks awesome! The smoothness when running at 120hz and getting a proper 24 frames per second (the way it was meant to be seen) is really nice.
I discovered that I had in fact had the mode in Sports mode - when watching the Golf and Nascar the picture quality and smoothness was 'well wicked' and I am just chuffed to bits with the TV.

Here it is, 42", 1080p and 120hz of awesomeness atop my other awesome TV stand (that I managed to get from Walmart for the ridiculous price for $99 :) )



Never able to do this thing justice, I have taken a photo of it anyway - because I can!

I was just about to tell you to go to your local Electronics shop and take a look at the 120hz for yourself, but then I remembered that everywhere I go in the UK that show off TVs (including the Sony Shop etc.) seem to be using the foil of a chewing gum wrapper as an antenna for most of their HD TVs, not able to demonstrate it at all, unless it's hooked up to a Blu-Ray player (which they only have their £6000 55" LEDs rigged up to).
But if you're thinking of getting a HD TV, definitely go for 120hz or above (I say 'above' - but the the difference above 120hz is marginal compared to the jump from 60hz -120hz).
Anyway, my TV RoXXors, and I cannot wait to watch the World Cup on it next year ;)

2 comments:

Kjan said...

$99?????

If i had the money to do so I'd ask you to buy me one and and ship it over here (assuming it will work in the UK)

Doucha said...

Hmmm, I think you mis-read my posted intention - I said my 'other awesome TV stand' - that was only $99 - which is well cheap and clearly a mistake - they seel in Futre Shop for over $400.
The TV was roughly £900... of awesomeness.
Our parents gave us money for our birthdays, so they can't moan at us for spending on this :)
Not sure how much this would cost in the UK?
I wouldn't have thought it'd be that much more expensive though.