Sunday 11 October 2009

Long Day

Skype has not stopped since last night, the phone has been off the hook and it's been a veritable competition to get one visitor out the door before the next, less they end up fighting for a hold of Taryn!.

Last night was hard!
I think when Hayden was born I was more up to dealing with stress, I was in the middle of my MSc and long nights and no sleep was fairly frequent. But I've gotten used to PEI and a lazy lifestyle.
I tried to keep Taryn comforted last night to allow Kath some rest between feedings, but man - it knocked me proper. I couldn't even MOVE this morning.
Somehow Kath was full of beans, feeding every 3 hours yet up at dawn and, as usual tidying up.
I could hear Hayden screaming for attention as Kath wandered about baby hanging off of left breast, toddler hanging off of right foot, phone in right hand, broom in left, shouting at someone on Skype to 'hold on a minute'.
I got up to try to help out... and a great deal of effort it took me I'll have you know, only for the public health visitor to turn up at 10am.
Managed to get hold of my daughter to wind her, and answer another Skype call, to have her taken away to be weighed. Had a shower, came down Megan had hold of baby refusing, as women do, to yield ;).
Managed to get to change a stinking nappy!.
Went to have a nap with Taryn, which was impossible with Hayden screaming Star Wars tunes at the top of his voice and Kath's obsession with the washer dryer - which rumbles the bedroom.
Went shopping with the boy, who threw a tantrum due to tiredness and the fact that the human race seems no longer interested in his lightsabre antics but focused instead on this crying thing that eats toys.
Boy fell asleep as I got to Canadian Tire, pouring with rain, spent about 3 hours buying all sorts of stuff and travelling to different shops with the boy... in a broken buggy... wet... asleep... as it got dark... in the rain.... ... with an OWL!!
Got home, and promised Hayden I would play Lego Star Wars Complete Saga with him (his present from Taryn, and our attempt to show him that he still mattered).
Cooked dinner.
Ate Dinner and drank wine.
Went to wind baby... and promised Hayden a game as soon as he'd finished his own meal.
Skype rang... again...
Managed to hold sleeping baby whilst talking on Skype
Bell rang. Visitors.
Visitors left.
Told Hayden it was time for bed, hoping I could get to hold Taryn for a bit, but then realising that I'd not yet played Lego Star Wars as promised with him.
Played Lego Star Wars until 10:30pm. Read Hayden a story.. well actually got him to name 149 Star Wars characters.
Went to give Taryn a cuddle... she was feeding.
Watched Hells Kitchen. Kath and Taryn went to bed.
By this point I was on the arse end of a bottle and half of white wine and had resigned myself to the fact that I have completely missed day 3 of Taryn.

It's been a long day. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on Facebook and the blog here, but tomorrow the PC gets turned off, the phone unplugged and the door locked :)
Kath can wash up if she really wants to, or sleep, I sit on the sofa playing Xbox... baby in one arm, Hayden on lap, beer on the table, cat by the feet... FACT!

No comments: