Saturday 31 January 2009

Charlottetown

Charlottetown has no customs whatsoever. I can honestly say it's the fastest air port I've ever gotten out of. I made it slower by taking pictures of the plane I flew from Halifax in…



… and the air port exit – the only one.

Glen, from Charlottetown was there with his fiancĂ© Roselyn to meet me – yay he exists after all, and not only that, but a bloody nice chap coming to pick me up.

My luggage was already out on the belt and all I'd done is literally walked from the plane you see above and through the walkway.
I was so surprised by this I forgot to take a picture of the huge cow that greets you... no really there's a huge cow as you walk in!!!
It took just less than ½ an hour to drive to the house and they were very keen to point out EVERYTHING on the way and explain stuff. This was great at putting me at ease and preparing me for tomorrow.
Snow everywhere, but is wasn't 'too' cold, about -3C.
And here's my new home...
I was very tired by this point, I'd been awake and travelling about 17 hours and the house worried me. It's very rough around the edges, paint peeling, unfinished decoration. It was pretty bleak to enter, thoughts like 'oh crap, we've gotta get out of here by the next 12 months!'.
Luckily, after Glen had left I didn't have much time at all to dwell on this or start panicking.
Gordon, a guy from Other Ocean, one who interviewed me, had also offered to pick me up from the air port, but as I needed the get from Glen that seemed more prudent. Anyway, he'd arranged with some other staff from Other Ocean to go out for a meal, which I didn't want to cancel as I felt an 'informal' introduction would be better than the nerve wracking entrance on Monday morning to complete strangers.
They turned up just 15 minutes later at 8:30pm and took me to a supermarket where I was able to buy a duvet set, cleaning stuff and some essential foods, like breakfast etc. to tide me over until tomorrow. Then we went to a Pasta and Pizza bar for grub and beer.
Amazingly they serve Stella, so I ordered a pint. It did NOT taste like Stella, I commented on this, the lad went away, and then said he also felt it had a weird after taste and he'd sort it out for me. I thought that this meant he'd change the barrel, but Tara said that means I'll get it free. Which I did! I didn't even complain, just commented on it. Apparently bars, restaurants and so forth do that here, if you don't feel completely satisfied - calling the manager and making a fuss, just simply sorted. Was the food great... nothing special, would I go back, hell yeah! Not for free stuff, in fact I tipped the guy $5 anyway - which is what the beer cost :)
Anyway the Other Ocean staff turned out to be a fairly young bunch, Matthew is a lad from India and just swears at the top of his voice all the time - it was very funny. They seemed to use hi as a punch bag, but he was more than happy to accept. It took my mind off the enormity of the situation and the move and I had a good time.
By the time I got home I was so tired I didn't care about the house and just went to sleep.
However I did not know how the heating worked, by 4am I was awake and freezing cold. I managed to get it turned on, but it seemed to be dumping out cold air on me.
Not a good nights sleep - and the cheap duvet I bought was well thin!

No comments: